History of WAPSA
The Western Australian Pharmacy Students’ Association (WAPSA) was established in 1953 as a representative body for students studying pharmacy. It has been run by undergraduate students since its inception. WAPSA was initially an organisation for students studying at Curtin University (formally known as WAIT - West Australian Institute of Technology). Currently we represent undergraduate students at Curtin University as well as postgraduate students at Curtin and the University of Western Australia. We are proud to be a unique NAPSA organisation, being the only one to represent students from multiple universities and undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Curtin University has the oldest School of Pharmacy in Western Australia with a proud history of providing many years of excellence and innovation in teaching and research. Working closely with the profession we provide a first class four year undergraduate degree with a strong focus on clinical education and the underpinning sciences related to pharmacy.
The Curtin School of Pharmacy offers the only undergraduate entry course available in Western Australia that will lead to registration as a pharmacist. A wide range of opportunities for postgraduate studies by research and course work are also available.
What’s WAPSA About?
- We provide education opportunities in addition to those offered by the degree, by facilitating the courses run through NAPSA (both Blackmores® Courses, Smith and Nephew Wound Care Course and Stitches First Aid Course), as well as the 2 WAPSA courses run by Ethical Nutrients®, Blackmores®.
- We organise and facilitate super awesome social events! We aim to First semester sees an orientation party, designed to welcome the first years (O-Show), a cocktail party and an end of semester party. Second semester holds the annual gala ball, a quiz night and a pub crawl.
- Community! WAPSA is extremely proud to have won awards in both the Charity Cup events that have been held to date. Charity cup is an inter-branch competition to raise money for a nominated charity. In 2017, WAPSA won the Innovation Award, for the best ideas and spirit raising over $6000! We also participate in Vampire Cup (a blood donation drive) and work towards promotion of other community organisations throughout the year.
- We always aim to provide our members with current professional information and work towards furthering their career opportunities by promoting a career in pharmacy.
Benefits of Membership
- Automatic membership to the National Australian Pharmacy Students’ Association (NAPSA).
- Automatic membership to the International Pharmaceutical Students’ Federation (IPSF).
- Permission of attendance at the annual NAPSA Congress, held in January each year.
- Permission of attendance to the annual IPSF Congress, held annually.
- Provision of a dispensing pack in second year containing all the equipment required for compounding labs.
- Discounted tickets to all social events
- Discounted textbooks (the AMH and the SUSMP).
- An INVALUABLE opportunity to meet as many pharmacy students as you can from across all year levels, universities, states, and countries enabling you to build the networks that will serve you throughout your career.
Becoming a WAPSA member
- To become a WAPSA member, simply fill out our registration form below and follow the payment details at the end of the form.